Type Of Baldness
How to reach good results – FUE Technique
FUE stand for Follicular Unit Extraction. This means the “taken out of the hair follicles” 1 by 1 from the back of the head( donor area) . In the past specialists used to get the hair follicles in big amounts as strips. This has disadvantages such as scarring on the back of the head ( donor area). Also it was difficult to seperate hair follicles from the strip and implant them to the cellks on the top of the head ( receiving area). Scientists used to place the follicles in huge numbers. However many of these hair follicles were not sitting in the cells and scientists lost many of these hair follicles during this process. Finally, results were not that good.
FUE technique has changed all of this. There is no scarring, there is no loss of hair follicles,
there is tremendous growth in all cells
FUE enables the surgical team to offer small Hair Transplant sessions from 500 grafts, especially to patients who are at the initial stages of hair loss to 4000 grafts for patients who have much bigger bald area. In this technique the head is shaved completely and donor area is mainly chosen as the neck part between the 2 ears. Collection of grafts occur 1 buy 1 through special 0.6-0.8mm small punches. Mainly a graft has 1 to 3 hair units. This 1 by 1 collection is the actual meaning of FUE, Follicler Unit Extraction.
Collected units via FUE are then transferred into the bald cells of the person. The whole process takes about 4 hours for a person who needs between 2000-3000 grafts of hair. During this time the patient is under local anesthesia and doesnt feeel any pain. The patient is awake , can read books, watch a movie during the procedure. Since this is a non-invasive procedure, there are no cuts and there are no marks on the head. But as you watch in the movie, there are small bleedings during hair collection, cell openings and hair implantation.
As you can watch in the movie this procedure is a team work. The plastic surgeon and his team of 3-4 qualified specials share the work of collection, cell recognition, hair preparation and then hair implantation. The collected units are hold outside for about 10-20 minutes. The faster it is , the better it is for their liveliness. In such teamwork, the waiting outside is not more than this figure.
· People have about 100.000 follicles and about 70-100 follicles per cm2. Hair loss is visible when these numbers fall by half or triple. Therefore thickness of the follicles shall be more than 40-50 cm2. The type of the hair plays an important role here as well. If the hair is thinner then more grafts are needed for the implantation.
· In FUE the angle of the implantation of the hair is important to reach natrual results. Front lines by 50-60 degrees angle, hair in front of the ears by 35-40 degrees, back part of the top by 40-45 degrees.
This is the Art of the Work !!
We can also provide our Patients PRP Support during the hair transplantation procedures for better results
Please click on the PRP section in the Menu on the Right Side of the Page.
Please also visit FAQ section for frequently asked questions
What is DHI Hair Transplant?
Direct hair implantation (DHI) is a form of FUE hair transplantation. In all hair transplant procedures grafts are taken from a donor site and implanted into the bald or thinning area. The main difference between FUT or FUE to DHI is the hair implant technique. The great thing about DHI technique is that professionals don’t have to open the hair follicles. DHI technique uses a specialized tool called a Choi pen. This tool helps to implant each hair follicles at the same time, without making any incisions.
How DHI is Performed?
DHI hair transplantation technique is performed by the following steps;
- First of all on the day of surgery, the surgeon will shave the individuals head before starting the procedure.
- To numb the area and keep the individual feel comfortable during the process local anesthesia will be applied.
- By the help of a precision tool, the surgeon will start to remove follicles and loads them into a special tool called Choi pen.
- The implantation is performed with this Choi pen. All donor follicles are implanted into the target areas without making any incisions.
- Direct Hair Implantation (DHI) procedures usually takes around 8 hours. This length is as same as it is with FUE. Depends on the number of follicles to be transplanted length of the surgery can vary.
- After the DHI procedure the surgeon will apply an antibiotic based cream and cover the area with bandages.
Pros & Cons of DHI Hair Transplant
DHI technique guarantees aesthetic results with the use of a DHI implanter (Choi pen) which helps to control over the depth and direction of hair follicle implantation.
DHI method success rate of follicles transplant is over 90%, compared to 50% to 90% by other methods.
DHI hair transplant surgery provides the most natural-looking results with no scarring.
DHI technique has minimal downtime, after the surgery individuals can go back to their daily routines within a couple of days.
The DHI technique is more difficult to perform than the other hair transplant options and needs high experienced surgeons.
The DHI technique necessitates extensive preparation and expertise otherwise hair follicles can be easily get harm.
A slower process in comparison to other hair transplantation techniques
Higher costs in contrast to the other hair transplantation methods
How Much does a DHI Surgery Costs?
The average cost of a DHI procedure at clinics in UK, USA, Germany, Spain and Ireland ranges between $3,000 and $14,000 USD. To reduce the cost, you may want to consider traveling to a cheaper location. Turkey is one of the most popular destination where you can find top-quality service to affordable prices. Turkey DHI hair transplant cost is anywhere between $3,000 to $5,000.
If you are planning to get hair transplantation abroad than you must consider Turkey in top of the list. Turkey provides best professionals employees in fully equipped clinics and performs various techniques and uses latest technologies to grow your hair back.
Who Is An Ideal DHI Candidate?
The best candidates for DHI are the individuals that are suffering from pattern hair loss but still has sufficient amount of hair in their occipital region. The individuals has to be over 25.
Both men and women with a receding hairline, individuals with traction alopecia or with partial baldness are ideal candidates for DHI treatment.
For the success of the transplant the type of the hair has to be thick. Thin hair type may achieve great results as well but thicker hair contains more follicle and has more coverage.
The individuals with higher hair density than 40 follicles (per square centimeter) are strong candidates for DHI hair transplant surgery.
As same as any type of hair transplantation, for also DHI, the candidates has to carry realistic expectations for their results.
DHI Hair Transplant Results & Recovery
Since there is no suture and incision, crusting, pitting, postulation and tissue damage occur very minimally with the DHI method. This means that the recovery time is fast and comfortable. To preventive purposes your surgeon will ask you to take an antibiotic cure which will last up to a week.
After DHI surgery there may be erythema, tenderness, and swelling that may last up to 2-3 weeks.
Within the first three weeks after the transplant, the individuals should expect “shock loss”. Shock loss is a common shed of the hair, which takes place within the first three weeks after the DHI surgery. It will gradually begin to grow again. Graft survival is estimated to be around 90-95% in DHI hair transplant surgeries. At the end of the 4th month, the regrowth rate will be around 20-30%, by the 6th month, about 50-60%.
You’ll see the full results of your surgery within 12 to 18 months.
How Long DHI Hair Transplant Results Last
The new hair starts to grow three to four months later and continues to grow for a lifetime. The implanted area results are permanent however it’s important to note that hair loss and thinning can continue, even after a hair transplant. DHI hair transplant method is long-lasting with natural-looking results.
p.s: DHI treatment will not affect your current hair, which also means that you current hair may continue to fall out.
Risks to consider
Each surgeries has risks to consider. Most of them are common while some of them are unique to the treatment. Below you will find potential side effects and risks of DHI hair transplant surgery;
- It is common for all types of hair transplant surgery that infections can occur in the scalp or in donor areas after follicles are implanted.
- Shock hair loss is a healthy part of treatment. It takes place within eight weeks of the procedure.
- Pain, bleeding and scar healing problems can be seen in the early weeks after the surgery.
- Dizziness, heartbeat increase are rare but possible risks to consider.
- Rare but possible there can be sparse growth surrounding donor areas.